|Confirm process for working with your supervisor (consider contacting your supervisor in advance of the clinic)
Confirm supervisor expectations
- ·Will your supervisor directly or indirectly observe the visit?
- How will you contact your supervisor for key issues during the visit?
- Confirm components of the virtual visit (e.g., history, physical exam, diagnosis, management plan, follow up) and which aspects require check in with your supervisor
- How will case review your supervisor work?
- How will counseling and recommendations be communicated to your patient afterwards?
- Do you have the resources you need (for example, do you need home EPR access?)
- Ensure suitability for phone/video visit
- Consider whether you will need an interpreter or family member present
|Familiarize yourself with video conference technology
- Clarify the choice of application which will depend on your hospital policy and must be PIPEDA/ HIPAA compliant.
- Some application examples: OTN, Doxy.me, and Zoom for Healthcare.
- Familiarize yourself with the software features.
- Be prepared for technical difficulties.
- If the video application fails, you may have to resort to using the phone
- Make sure you have a phone number.
|Set up your space
- Ensure adequate lighting and professional background
- Test microphone/webcam
- Angle webcam so that you will be looking at patient directly
- Minimize interruptions; consider putting a sign on the door
- Ensure privacy
|Pre-intake forms and/or orientation (if applicable)
- If applicable in your clinic, have patients complete pre-intake forms and/or watch orientation video for software to be used, such as for OTN
- Patients may be directed to other resources such as FAQ by the CPSO